Purpose: During the COVID-19 situation, we ask all the BIF user to follow the BIF guideline described below. The guideline allows us to reduce the risk of acquiring and spreading the virus in the facility.
Note: If you have concerns or feel unsafe, contact Miki Fujita, BIF research manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).
1. The facility is operating on an appointment-only basis to restrict the number of people in the facility at one time to 7 (1/3 occupancy) including staff and users.
All the work has to be performed during BIF business hours 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday. The work should be finished by 5:30 pm to permit the custodial staff access after 6 pm and no work is permitted on weekends.
A. Booking of equipment
Every appointment will be coordinated through Miki Fujita, Research manager. Users need to submit “Equipment Booking Enquiry Form” or contact Miki (email@example.com) to schedule their BIF visit with the information (when, how long, which equipment, need tech assistance, key card access). She will get back to you with a confirmation email within 24 hrs. Prioritization of Access will be given IF 1) Research personnel working on COVID-related research, including work for which an exemption was already granted. 2) Research personnel who are working on time-critical projects for reasons including: grant deadlines, time-sensitive papers, and students close to degree completion.
B. Online Booking Calendar (View only)
Only BIF staff can book the equipment on behalf of the user. Users can view the equipment status but are unable to book the equipment by themselves.
C. Cancellation of your appointment
Please contact Miki if the user needs to cancel the appointment more than 24 hours prior to their schedule appointment. No penalty fee will be charged. If the user doesn’t show up, the user will be charged for the full length of the original reservation.
D. Billing log computer (Disabled)
Miki will contact you to confirm your hours of equipment usage.
2. Protective measures must be used all the time in the facility.
- Bring your UBC card to enter the building, own pen/pencil to sign the user sign-in/sign-out sheet at the BIF, lab coat (mandatory) and mask (encouraged).
- To access BIF, use the stairwell 10 (descending only) at the west end of north wing BioSci Bldg. To exit the building, use the stairwell 9 (ascending only) at the east end of north wing. An elevator is located at the middle of hallway (maximum of 2 people).
- There will be one-way traffic inside the facility and in the hallway of north wing basement (Please follow the sign).
- “User sign-in/sign-out sheet” will be posted at the entrance and exit doors of the BIF. All personnel will sign in when entering the BIF, and sign out when they leave.
- Always maintain a minimum distance of two metres to the next person.
- Only one person per microscopy room is permitted. Maximum of two people are permitted in main lab (Rm 0144), as long as physical distancing is maintained.
- Wash hands/gloved hands with soap between work stations. BIF Hand Wash Stations are located in Rm 0129, 0131, 0141, 0144.
- Before leaving the station, wipe out all touched surfaces with alcohol. BIF staff will also clean the surface of equipment (key board, mouse, operation knobs, eye pieces, desk, chair) after each user.
- There will be at least 30-minute time window to keep the room empty before next user comes in.
4. Hands-on training will be postponed while physical distancing is recommended.
- One-on-one/group training will be postponed.
- Training contents will be available on the BIF Canvas online training site. Please contact Miki for more information.
- BIF staff can perform preliminary experiments for users.
5. BIF accepts new project/sample for imaging service.
BIF will accept project/sample on a first-come, first-serve basis, but depending on the facility occupancy, some delays may be expected.